I FIELD questions via this blog or email every week…
REGARDING OUR KITCHEN FORMICA 180 FX MARBLE COUNTERTOPS
- THE FORMICA 180FX CATTACATTA MARBLE180fx® marks a revolution in surfacing with true-to-scale granite patterns that offer visual drama unmatched by any other laminate. Modern, sophisticated high resolution patterns focus on a neutral palette – versatile enough to pair with any interior design concept.
……….so I thought it might be helpful to list the TOP 10 Q&A’s…
1.Q – Do you still like your countertops?
1.A – YES. Love them still.
2. Q. have your Formica countertops stained.
2. A. NO…The countertops have not stained
3. Q. Do you have to use a cutting board?
3. YES, you should use a cutting board with sharp knives on the Formica counter tops. I have skipped a cutting board when making the lunches…just cutting a sandwich is fine, but the kids have made some fine scratches when NOT using a cutting board and cutting with sharp knives.
4. Q. How noticeable are the corner seams?
4. A. We have only one seam in our Formica 180fx countertops. It is on the L – shaped corner by the mixer. It lays flush and has never stood out to me. Proper installation is crucial here.
5. Q. Calacatta Marble– is yours the “etched” finish or the “gloss”? I don’t think I want the etching but that is the only selection I can find….THANK YOU !
5. A. Our countertop is “ETCHED” . I will confess, when I very first saw a sample size – I did not like the way the etching appeared. It looked strange to me…with all the little “divits” but all worries were in vain because in the finished version…they are NOT visible and the matte finish keeps scratches from appearing. I will go on record and say “YES I like the etching”.
6. Q. I am putting Formica Calcutta formica in my new home. Having trouble finding a good white color for subway tile and white paint for cabinets. Any suggestions?
6. A. There are a millions options. For subway tile – the stock “Ice White” subway tile by Olean works great. Our cabinets are painted Benjamin Moore “Mountain Peak White” which works well with both the subway tile And the counter-tops.
7. Q. WHAT KIND OF SINK DO YOU HAVE with your Formica Countertops ?
7. A. We have a Kohler drop in, VAULT Large single kitchen sink with Single-Hole faucet drilling. I was encouraged to choose a “top mount” sink which in a way made the decision making easier because there were fewer options I liked. I have since been told that under mount sinks can be used if installed properly . There are more options available including sinks which are post formef and flush with the counter tops but as I have not researched those I will just speak to what we have and I STILL ADORE this sink!!!
8. Q. Have you had any problems with these countertops?
8. A. We have had no real problems but there is one ISSUE which bears mentioning…and I confess I was counseled about before I chose my edge profile and chose to ignore. (naughty me) It was suggested that I choose an edge profile which wrapped around the post-form wood base and extended underside. This keeps water, (especially near the sink) from dripping around and then being absorbed into the underside wood, causing it to swell. I went with an edge profile which just stops abruptly at the edge and painted the underside with many coats of water resisted paint. And we have had some swelling just in front of the sink.
9. Q. Does the marble pattern look “fake” in person?
9. NO. In fact, we had our dishwasher replaced and when the serviceman arrived he frowned and sighed and said “OH! I was not told you had marble countertops…I will need to go get a different drill. ” He was standing one foot from them!!!
This being said…I have never tried to fool anyone, I really just like the way they look..they are a digitalized photo of marble…they look clean and were the perfect choice for our kitchen makeover.
10. Q. I love these countertops !!! Where can I get Formica 180x countertops in Calacatta Marble?
10. A – We got our countertops at Home Depot. We bought them “uninstalled” for $14 sq/ft (installed was $30 sq ft) and then paid our Mr Fix it ($200) to install them. They can be purchased via Lowes as well. There are also many COUNTERTOP manufacturers like Hartson Kennedy What I discovered is that much of your success in getting these countertops DEPENDS upon the fabricators local to YOU . IF your store tells you they are unavailable, or cheap and a bad choice , or unavailable..please tell me the name of the store and I will contact my Formica Rep and he will follow-up. ALL of these stores have been trained in selling and fabricating these counter tops and the should be available in the US stores.
Thank you for all of your thoughtful comments and questions. I have loved sharing this experience with you guys. I never dreamed it would connect me to some many of you who are all trying to create a beautiful kitchen space on a budget…and I value all of feedback!!!