The last step in the (SEEMINGLY ENDLESS)
Kitchen Makeover is the FLOOR.
…..but here is my conundrum.
The floor is layer upon layer of old vinyl and linoleum…and asbestos. problem.
…. FULL removal of all layers….will be an expensive, laborious process….and if history is correct…
…and then some.
Yes, I could add yet another layer, but we are getting to the point where our toes may not be able to fit under the cabinets with one more layer…and so…I have decided to PAINT THE VINYL!!!
….and I am loving this herringbone pattern!
VINYL IS A SURFACE, like any other surface you might paint…wood, metal and Painting VINYL is not impossible. You just have to take the correct steps to insure the paint sticks!!! Here is what I have done, thus far…
1. vacuüm the dickens out of the floor!
2. CLEAN THE FLOOR UNTIL THE soapy WATER IN THE MOP BUCKET water IS CLEAR.
3. WIPE THE CLEAN FLOOR DOWN WITH A TSP MIXTURE.
4. PAINT THE SHOE MOULD AROUND THE ROOM WITH A FRESH COAT OF PAINT (MOUNTAIN PEAK WHITE)
5. CUT IN THE EDGES WITH THE SKILZ PRIMER. I HAD THE PRIMER TINTED TO THE COLOR OF THE LIGHTEST “BLOCK” IN MY HERRINGBONE PATTERN.
6. PRIME THE FLOOR AND LET DRY OVERNIGHT!!!
I have drawn the pattern out dozens of time, mapping it, and utilizing the existing pattern on the kitchen floor…you can see it in this photo ..there are squares with smaller squares composed of dots in the center
I made my design on graph paper and I chose four colors from the new Benjamin Moore Williamsburg line of paints to make my Herringbone pattern.
clockwise…from top left…slate, lamp black, tucker gray and bracken slate….
I am hoping that the almost “tone on tone” color scheme will create a nice pattern, NOT too busy but textured and interesting…tune in tomorrow to see where we are!!!If all goes well with the floor, I will varnish tomorrow.