WAS AN YELLOW *** “ENGLISH” LAB
a big sweet boy.
Winnie’s Pooh Bear of Rockfish aka “Bear” son of Winnie Woodworth (mother) and Woody Voshell (father)
Obedient, happy, hungry, alpha, curious, sweet, stoic, beautiful, regal, loyal and loving till the very end.
Man, he was such an awesome dog!
5 FUN FACTS ABOUT LABRADORS RETRIEVERS
- Labrador retrievers were bred to be the perfect water dogs: They have water-resistant double coats that provide insulation, and their short fur keeps them warm but doesn’t drag them down when it gets wet. Their webbed toes facilitate speedy swimming. Fishermen used the dogs to bring in nets, pull ropes between boats, and recover escaped fish.
- Labrador retrievers actually come from Newfoundland, not Labrador.
- Regardless of the parents’ color, a single litter can include black, yellow, and chocolate puppies. There are two genes that cause the pigmentation of the coat, so the variation can be just as common as different hair colors in a human family.
- In 1981, a black Labrador mix named Bosco won the election to be the honorary mayor of Sunol, Calif., beating out two human candidates for the job.
- Thanks to their powerful noses, Labrador retrievers have been trained to sniff out and identify early stages of cancer. Through work with cancer cell samples, dogs can learn to smell the disease. The canine doctors can make a diagnosis by smelling a patient’s breath, blood, or stool. So far, the only known way to screen for easy stages of ovarian cancer is by letting a lab sniff the patient—they have very high success rates.
OUR DOG CHARLIE IS HALF LAB…ALL LOVE…
****The terms ‘American Labs’ and ‘English Labs’ aren’t absolute and strict terms, but more a useful guide of the probable type of Lab being described. There are many exceptions. GENERALLY SPEAKING, However, what I have come to know as the distinction is that the “English” have larger heads..and are stockier ….BUT, you can find “American” labs with big old noggins and stocky bodies too. I see the the distinction more come into play when folks are looking for a breeder…just my two cents!
1 thought on “DAY 11 – DOG-A-DAY PAINTING – MEET “BEAR””
WOW! This really captures his personality! Thank you
Comments are closed.