This is the pile of Tate’s stuff right before we packed him up and moved him into his dorm late last summer.
Moving him out some 9 months later – I could not help but notice what
…came back unopened or not at all!
On the MIA list were these crates? He donated the rug. The ‘First Aid kit” was unused – still packed in plastic (“there are Resident Advisors “RA’s that have those”) , His second pair of sheets were never used. All of the paper goods – plates, bowls, plastic utensils – unopened. As he explained it “they have all that stuff at the cafeteria and plates are delivered with Pizza.” I also found a large box of unused pencils.
NOW IT IS TIME TO PACK FOR PHOEBE will attend the College this fall.
Phoebe is much more interested in her Dorm decor than her brother was and she and her roommate-to-be have been texting back and forth…choosing colors for bedding sets, lamps and rugs and dividing up the big stuff …Roommate is getting the printer and ink, we are getting the mini fridge.
(ROUND 2) TOP-TEN DORM SHOPPING LIST
Dorm Combo Bedding packages
- BEDDING/BEDDING PACKAGE – Comforter, sheets, pillowcases, mattress cover and mattress pad. The mattress pads range from simple egg crate to full on Memory foam layers.
2. COMMAND STRIPS AND COMMAND HANGERS – OFTEN IT IS ALL THAT IS ALLOWED TO HANG ANYTHING!
3. RUG – A simple indoor /outdoor one of a shaggy plush soft one…anything is better than a cold floor in the am.
4. CREATIVE STORAGE SOLUTIONS – BINS, CRATES, HANGERS, BED RAISERS (HELPS RAISE THE BED UP SO THINGS CAN BE STASHED UNDERNEATH!)
5. Which brings me to FANS – IF YOU WILL NOT HAVE AC MUST HAVE A FAN!
6. REFRIGERATOR – rent or buy. this is a tricky one. The rental is $279 a semester, they run specials all the time but you can buy a great mini fridge for MUCH MUCH LESS
7. SHOWER AND LAUNDRY SUPPLIES – TOWELS, SHOWER WRAPS, BATH GEL, FLIP FLOPS, SHOWER CADDY
8. ELECTRICAL SUPPLIES – ELECTRICAL CORDS WITH SURGE PROTECTER, IPHONE CORDS AND CHARGERS, DESK LAMP
10. PERSONAL TOUCHES – PHOTOS, POSTERS – TAPESTRIES, THINGS THAT MAKE IT YOUR ROOM! One fun thing that many colleges do is have big poster sales the first few weeks of school. Tate had fun going with his roommate and choosing posters for his room. There are great creative ways to display your photos – here are a few!
9. SCHOOL SUPPLIES – THE BASICS – OBVIOUSLY SCHOOL SUPPLIES ARE NEEDED BUT TATE FOUND IT FUN TO GO GET THAT STUFF AT THE BOOKSTORE…THEY DO LOTS OF BUYING USED BOOKS ETC THERE. PENS AND PENCILS…PAPER, PRINTER PAPER. AGAIN – ALL CAN BE GOTTEN ON CAMPUS.
10. MISCELLANEOUS – HERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT TATE SAYS HE ENDED UP GETTING LATER OR WISHED HE HAD – A STASH OF COLD MEDICINE SUPPLIES, TISSUES ETC. (THEY SHARE GERMS LIKE KINDERGARTENS AND GET COLDS ALOT IN THE BEGINNING), PORTABLE SAFE, RAIN BOOTS, UMBRELLA, RAINCOAT, WIPES, TOILETRIES.
THIS IS JUST A START….BUT HITS ON MANY OF THE BIGGIES. IT GOES SO FAST..AND IN THE END…MOST TOWNS HAVE A TARGET…AND CARE PACKAGES ARE FUN TO GET – JUST MAKE SURE THEY PICK THEM UP!!!!