THE #1 PAINT COLOR THAT PEOPLE AGONIZE OVER IS..
….Once upon a time – I used to think ALL WHITE paint colors were alike – I have long since let go of that notion!
ALL WHITES ARE NOT ALIKE!
There are hundreds, thousands of whites to choose from. It can feel overwhelming.
One way I have found to narrow down the field is to divide the whites into TWO categories : 1. WARM and 2. COOL
This blog post will focus on
Basically – and I mean this is a very BASIC explanation – Whites have an undertone – usually a blue undertone which makes it “cooler” or a yellow undertone – which makes it “warmer”
THREE OF PHOEBE’S BEDROOM WALLS ARE Benjamin Moore “CHANTILLY LACE”
When you look at the colors above – you can see – BY comparison that the Chantilly Lace is cooler. And often this is HOW you will see which is cooler or warmer – BY comparison…..
IF you are interested in TRULY understanding undertones and WHITE PAINT COLORS I highly recommend you get Maria Killam’s E BOOK- WHITE IS COMPLICATED.
This book is for you if:
- You wonder if there is a “go-to” white that will look good in every situation.
- You would like to know the critical difference between choosing white for walls and choosing white for trim and cabinets.
- You want to learn how to choose the right white the first time.
- You need a “go-to” list of tried and proven whites that works 99% of the time.
- You realize that it costs exactly the same to paint the wrong white as it does to paint the right white.
- You are building or renovating and need to choose the correct white foundation palette.
WHITE paint colors come up a lot and hence I have done at least 3 POSTS on them….
2. “WHITE” PAINTS THAT ARE NOT WHITE
3. GREAT EXTERIOR (AND INTERIOR) WHITES
NOW…LETS TAKE A LOOK AT 10 OF MY FAVORITE GO-TO ON THE COOLER SIDE – WHITES..
THIS is a perfect example of ONE white being “MORE” cool next to another white (SIMPLY WHITE)which is both cool and warm- depending on what it is next to – SIMPLY WHITE can play both sides!
SUPER WHITE –
AND…. Here are a few more great COOL whites –
AND A BEAUTIFUL FARROW AND BALL WHITE – WIMBORNE WHITE…I AM KIND OF SMITTEN WITH THIS COLOR…MAYBE NOT FOR PHOEBE’S ROOM…BUT SOMEWHERE!
…WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE WHITES? ARE THEY WARM WHITES? COOL WHITES? OR SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN???
2 thoughts on “WAY “COOL” WHITE PAINT COLORS”
Looking at those comparisons I say that warmer is my white! I like it warmer!
Great article! The comparisons and explanations really help to clarify the different whites that are out there. People tend to take so much time picking the right colours for their walls, and then just pick any old white, not realising the intricacy involved in the subtle hues of white. Thanks so much for sharing your insight!
Comments are closed.