That is OLD!
When I scroll through Pinterest and Houzz, I see so many design choices which join the “OLD” with antiques or recycling older pieces in a new way or both…so many wonderful attempts are being made to honor the old I thought I would add a few suggestions of my own….
Here are a few ways that you can make your NEW house OLD…
1.Make the heart pine wood floors crooked… and while you are at it, make the horsehair plaster walls and ceilings crooked too.
2. You must have a tin roof. A leaky tin roof to insure you have sure you have at least one drippy ceiling, preferably a spot that can be accessed by a bucket…so you can have the lull of the “tap. tap , tap” put you right to sleep…better than any of those fancy “White Noise” machines.
3. Get or create Creaky floors, and if you are ambitious, floors that give off toothpick sized splinters.Then make it a rule to always wear socks.
4. High Ceilings are a must, and of course proportionally big heavy solid wood doors to match….beautifully built from one single piece of wood…
6. Poke out a few rails in the porch railing. And paint your porch ceiling sky blue for “GOOD LUCK”
8. Install Picture Railing and Beautiful Crown Moldings.
10. Remove all but one outlet in each room…and buy multiple extension cords…
Seriously, I love my Old Country House. But lets face it. Old Houses are not for the faint of heart. I confess that weekly, at least lately, I ask myself if my time in this house has run its course. I wonder. “Is this house,and all she requires, robbing me of precious hours of my life that I will never get back…or
“Is this House my Life’s Work?”
I still don’t have the answers except I know the thought of someone else, another family living in my house, just makes my heart ache so I guess I am not ready to leave. Maybe I am just hit burn out, before Spring Break…we have been living with dust and construction since Christmas…!
I do feel revived and ready for the home stretch this week:
This week we will finish the master Bathroom and all the kitchen except the floor…wait until you see what I have in store for the floor!!